Does alcohol affect muscle growth
Does alcohol affect muscle growth??
Actually alcohol slows down the process of muscle building and increase fat accumulation thus providing strong constraints for achieving your desired body shape.
If you are serious about achieving a great body then you must reduce alcohol consumption as much as you can or even better giving it up completely.
In this article i will tell you how Alcohol affects muscle growth.
How alcohol affects muscle growth
here is how alcohol affects muscle growth:
- Alcohol Slows down protein synthesis: Protein synthesis is the process of joining amino acids to form proteins to build muscle. Alcohol consumption can slow down the process up to 20% thus affect muscle growth badly.
- Alcohol causes dehydration: Water is essential for muscle growth. Up to 70% of your muscles are formed of water! Alcohol causes severe dehydration thus slows down muscle growth
- Loss of mental focus: In order to lift weights and grow your nervous system needs to be in a perfect state to recruit the required muscle fibers. Of course hangovers prevent the nervous system from being in a good state and so makes your training less useful (see How to gain muscle quickly)
- Alcohol increases cortisol: In my previous article How stress affects muscle growth i explained how the stress hormone cortisol breaks down muscles. Alcohol increases the production of that hormone thus negatively affects muscle growth
- Alcohol lowers testosterone levels: Without the male hormone you will never build muscles, Alcohol reduces the production of testosterone thus slows down muscle growth
- Increases fat storage: The best body is the one that has muscles and low fat. Alcohol increases fat storage and so prevents the muscles from being visible
- Depletes needed vitamins: Alcohol depletes important vitamins that are needed for muscle growth such as vitamin A,B, C in addition to calcium
Alcohol affects muscle growth badly
As you just saw alcohol can be destructive and can slow down your progress dramatically.
If you do everything right in the gym yet gain no muscles then Alcohol can certainly be one of the factors you should blame.
If you want a perfect body then think about giving up Alcohol.
I have spent years doing the wrong things in the gym and didn't get any results, fortunately i came across the book No nonsense muscle building which helped me get rid of most of the misconceptions that i had about body building and guided me to the right way that a skinny guy should follow in order to get bigger, its worth checking out.
Want to know more?
Causes of muscle loss
How can a skinny guy gain muscle
How many reps to build muscle